Thursday, June 9, 2011

Basic Pickle Brine

Pickle Brine

2/3 c. Salt - I used Kosher salt but you could use pickling salt
4 c. Vinegar - I like to use white vinegar but I have used red and cider on occassion
12 c. Water

Mix in a saucepan and bring to a boil.

Pack pickles in clean sterilized jars. Pour boiling hot brine over pickles.

You can be creative here too....I like to put a few (3 or 4 ) whole peppercorns, a clove of garlic and a few slices of onion.

On occassion I put a few hot peppers to make them spicey.

You could also add dill for a "dill pickle".

Note : It is easier to add all the "extras" with the pickles rather than at the end.
You can also use this brine to pickle hot or sweet peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, string beans and probably more that I have never tried.

Good Luck.............let me know how you make out with them !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment